Psychology of Interaction Design: The Ultimate Guide
How This Course Will Help Your Career
What You’ll Learn
- A deep, cognitive understanding of the human behind the term “user,” including the user’s memory and decision-making and problem-solving skills
- How to understand what the user sees when confronted by your product
- How to identify potential pitfalls in your design before any of them become a problem for your users
- How to elevate your design above those of your competitors by creating user-centered products, virtually free from frustrating elements
- How to design products that provide satisfying user experience and, in turn, increase sales
A deep understanding of human psychology is essential for all designers when creating a user-centered product with great user experience. While many individual differences will never cease to exist between users, we are united by our shared psychology; the constraints and abilities of the human mind are much the same for all of us. Developing an understanding of these cognitive limitations and capabilities is the key to interaction design and a great user experience. Without an awareness of how we interact with things in the real and virtual worlds, you’ll find that your designs will fall short of their potential.
This course will equip you with the knowledge to relate to your users psychologically, thus allowing you to create stand-out products. Through learning about different aspects of human cognition—and how they relate to interaction design—you will find yourself much better equipped to put yourself in your users’ shoes, shifting their thoughts to the forefront and keeping a firm hold of them there when designing your next creation.
Gain an Industry-Recognized UX Course Certificate
Use your industry-recognized Course Certificate on your resume, CV, LinkedIn profile or your website.
Our courses and Course Certificates are trusted by these industry leaders:
Is This Course Right for You?
This is an advanced-level course; even so, it is recommended for both newcomers to design and seasoned professionals alike:
- UX, UI, and web designers keen on applying knowledge in psychology so as to create interactive designs that are satisfying to use
- Software engineers interested in gaining a deep understanding of human cognition and interaction design
- Entrepreneurs who want to ship products that are user-centered and free from flaws that might blight their competitors’ products
- Newcomers to design who are considering making a switch to UX or interaction design
Courses in the Interaction Design Foundation are designed to contain comprehensive, evidence-based content, while ensuring that the learning curve is never too steep. All participants will have the opportunity to share ideas, seek help with tests, and enjoy the social aspects afforded by our open and friendly forum.
Learn and Work with a Global Team of Designers
You'll join a global community and work together to improve your skills and career opportunities. Connect with helpful peers and make friends with like-minded individual as you push deeper into the exciting and booming industry of design.
Lessons in This Course
- Each week, one lesson becomes available.
- There’s no time limit to finish a course. Lessons have no deadlines.
- Estimated learning time: 18 hours 12 mins spread over 11 weeks.
Lesson 0: Welcome and Introduction
Lesson 1: Interaction Design: An Introduction
Lesson 2: The Psychology of Interaction Design: Cognitive Frameworks
Lesson 3: The Gestalt Laws and Interface Design
Lesson 4: Visual Perception and Colour Vision
Lesson 5: Human Cognition and the Interactive Experience
Lesson 6: User Error: Who is to blame?
Lesson 7: Tangible User Interface Design and the Psychology of Touch
Lesson 8: Comparing User Interfaces
Lesson 9: Interaction Design Approaches
Lesson 10: Interaction Design Methods
Lesson 11: Interaction Design: The Process
Lesson 12: Course Certificate, Final Networking, and Course Wrap-up
This course is part of 1 learning path:
How Others Have Benefited
Vasanth Kumar Talla, India
“Lot of information which is valid and good to use in real time environment and projects.”
Theo Braden, United States
“I appreciated how the theory drives considerations for interaction design. It made the information much more digestible and intentional.”
How It Works
Take lessons by industry experts
Lessons are self-paced so you’ll never be late for class or miss a deadline.
Get a Course Certificate
Your answers are graded by experts, not machines. Get an industry-recognized Course Certificate to prove your skills.
Advance your career
Use your new skills in your existing job or to get a new job in UX design. Tap into our community to help you.
Start Advancing Your Career Now
Join us to take “Psychology of Interaction Design: The Ultimate Guide”. Take other courses at no additional cost. Make a concrete step forward in your career path today.Advance my career now